Geotesta undertook a geotechnical investigation as part of the replacement of 6 existing timber bridges for Tamworth Regional Council. The geotechnical investigation aimed to confirm the bedrock level for designing the foundation of the new bridges.
The 6 bridges included in this project were Fishers Bridge, Middlebrook Rd Bridge, Swamps Creek Bridge, Old Wallabadah Rd Bridge, Teamsters Rest Bridge and Benama Bridge.
The site-specific geotechnical investigation includes
- Borehole drilling at each end of the bridges
- Laboratory tests were used to determine the type of the soils index properties and the compressive strength of rock
- Collect soil samples for testing chloride ion content, sulfate content and pH levels
A separate Geotechnical Interpretive Report was prepared for each bridge that provided the followings:
- Factual findings of geotechnical investigation
- An interpreted geotechnical model, including a long section of the assessed subsurface lithology, to determine the appropriate founding levels
- Recommendations for the most appropriate type of foundation to be adopted
Recommendations on design parameters